So many of us choose to have dogs, to play with them and to take care of these amazing pets out of pure passion. In the same time, others choose to make a living out of this passion.
As a dog breeder, you can earn very well from this. However, it takes time, dedication, knowledge. The most important thing is to like what you do.
If so, you can either have a job as a dog breeder, or you can build an entire business out of this. It’s up to you.
What Should You Consider?
If you want to make a living out of your passion for dogs, here are 9 key aspects to keep in mind:
- Choose the breed you like – It is crucial to start with the right breed. Otherwise, after a while, you might lose your interest.
- Do the math properly – No matter if it’s just a job, or more than that, a business, be sure you want and you can invest your time and your money in this.
- Research the market – Check to see if the breed you want to choose is selling in your area.
- Be prepared for the unprepared – Check who are the best veterinarians in your area and where are they situated. You have to be prepared for anything.
- Test it before buying it – It can be beneficial to genetically test the dog. This way you can check if it has some genetic anomalies or some other diseases.
- Purchase the breeding rights also – In some instances, you can be denied the sale of the breeding rights because, in a way or another, you create competition within an area. Be sure you can buy them.
- Play with your dog – Before leaving the kennel, spend time with your dog. Play with it. Feed it well. Take it out. The more you do this the more human acquainted it will become. Your reputation and your money are at stake.
- Know everything about your dog – Your records are very important. Keep them up to date. Whether it is related to its health, or something else, your dog’s history can save its life one day.
- Take into consideration the implications – Being a dog breeder is not an easy job. This is a job that requires maximum attention from your side. Most of the time, your family will be involved too. This is why they must understand and support you.
Knowledge Is Everything
If you consider becoming a dog breeder you should be aware of the implications. You will spend a good part of your time, at least at the beginning, researching the market, analysing the breeds and planning each decision separately.
On the other hand, you will be surrounded by a lot of puppies, almost all the time. Sure, there is a lot of fun in this job, but there are also many aspects you need to consider.
All in all, you will have to produce desired characteristics and traits by intentional mating of dogs.
A good dog breeder is responsible and adaptable. If you like to be challenged and more importantly you love dogs a lot, then you are the perfect person to become a dog breeder.
Doing Genetic Testing before breeding is advisable to check the health predispositions of any expected traits, and avoid also surprises. #GeneticTestinginDogs #GeneticTestingSavesLives #PetGenoma